ITS 2017!!! As I mentioned a few days ago, I am starting a January Challenge because I wanted to get back to making better eating choices this new year. I am going to be doing a challenge every week this month with a video and a recipe for that week’s challenge. I really hope you join me on this challenge because it will definitely help us all reach our health goals.
This week’s challenge is all about getting your greens! I know sometimes it can be hard to find delicious easy ways to get your greens in other than a good old salad so I decided to show you my family’s 2 favorite ways to get the greens we need! You guys are going to love my Green Smoothie and My Family’s Favorite Green Juice!
This Green Smoothie is super simple and totally customizable depending on what types of fruits and veggies you like! This is actually Jamie Oliver’s recipe and I like it because it is really simple and it’s a good base. My family’s likes to add berries, almond milk and sometimes even chia seeds!
The nice thing about a green smoothie is we put a TON of greens in the blender but it totally breaks them down so you can get a really good amount of greens in a smaller portion.
- 1 banana
- 200g baby spinach
- 250ml fresh apple juice
- 1 lime
- Peel the banana and cut into nice big slices on a chopping board – ideally you want to use frozen bananas, so try and remember to do this the day before.
- Add the banana and spinach to a high-speed blender.
- Pour in the apple juice.
- Cut the lime in half.
- Squeeze all the lime juice into the blender.
- Secure the lid and blitz until smooth, then serve.
My Family’s favorite way to get greens is with our Green Juice!
We use a masticating juicer and it presses the ingredients so that we only get the juice that is filled with vitamins, minerals and nutrients, and it leaves all the fibers.
One of my weekly chores is to juice three GINORMOUS bags of power greens (from Costco) and we actually freeze some of it for the upcoming week.
Every morning me and my sister drink a glass of green juice and we get a TON of nutrients in one simple serving.
The reason we add other ingredients such as apples and ginger and lemon is to make the greens taste better. I cannot drink just straight green juice, but if you can…you rock!
- 150-300g greens, such as spinach, chard, and kale
- 1 lemon, peel removed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 apple, sliced
- We use a masticating juicer, which really gets the juice out of greens. Alternate juicing between the greens, apple, and lemon/ginger, so that nothing gets stuck in the juicer.
- Take your time so the juicer has time to get all the juice out!
- Drink immediately. If you are making extra for later, you can put them in a mason jar and use a Food Saver to suck the air out (you can get a mason jar attachment for $10 on Amazon), or pour it into a ziplock bag, get as much air out as possible and freeze. The night before we want to drink the green juice, we put the frozen juice in the fridge to let it thaw.
For this week’s challenge, try to get in at least one good portion of leafy greens every day, whether that be a salad or one of these two drink ideas. If you want to take it up a notch, like I plan to do, try to get a portion of greens with EACH MEAL!
You guys are gonna see how easy it can be to get your greens every day! You got this!
Don’t forget to follow me on my social media because I will be following along with you guys every single day. I will also be updating you on how I’m doing and would love to hear how things are going for you! Then I’ll see you next week with another video, and another challenge…