This salad is AMAZING. Creamy avocado, sweet tomato, and tangy lemon cling to the kale, which soften from all the flavors. Quinoa also soaks up the flavors, and makes this hearty enough to eat as a meal.
I made this with Stephen and David – The Happy Pear – who have dedicated their lives to sharing healthy, delicious food. Thank you Stephen and David, it was so much fun to hang out with you!
Be sure to check out our other video, Asian Broccoli Salad!
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 small or 1 large avocado
- 1 pint plum tomatoes, in a variety of colors
- 1 1/2 - 2 bunches of curly kale
- Rinse your quinoa, and combine it with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the cooked quinoa and return it to the hot pot, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all dressing ingredients except the oil, and slowly add the oil while whisking.
- Wash and de-stem the kale. Tear into bite-sized pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Chop the avocado into bite-sized pieces, and add to the bowl with the kale.
- When the quinoa has cooled enough to handle, add it to the salad.
- Pour the dressing on the kale salad, and mix to coat, using clean hands.
- Pile the salad onto a large serving platter, and top with the chopped tomatoes.