Thai-Inspired Grilled Beef Salad
This is one of our family-favorite salads! If you are vegan or vegetarian, you can leave off the steak and it is still DELICIOUS! The juicy steak, crispy vegetables, and sweet-savory-sour dressing is so amazing but it’s so easy! This proves that being healthy is cool.
- 1 lb. flank steak, about 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick
- ¾ cup lime juice
- ¾ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¾ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn (about 3 cups)
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, torn (about 3 cups)
- 2 shallots, soaked, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup), divided, for garnish
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- ¾ cup julienned cucumbers
- ½ cup shaved carrots
- 1/2 to 1 package rice vermicelli or rick stick noodles, prepared according to package, drained, and chilled (remember that more noodles means more dressing!)
- Rinse and pat the meat dry. Place in a sealable plastic bag or small glass dish. In a medium bowl combine the lime juice, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger.
- Pour 1/3 the mixture into the bag with the meat. Seal tightly, and marinate meat in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Reserve the rest of the mixture refrigerated, to dress the salad.
- Spray grill or grill pan with cooking spray and preheat. Grill steak until medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness. Let rest until room temperature then slice thinly against the grain.
- Combine lettuce, sliced shallot, cilantro, basil, cucumbers, carrots, and noodles in a salad bowl.
- Add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates and top with beef.