Moroccan pasta is one of my favorite meals. The spicy meat sauce with a hint of cinnamon with creamy goat cheese is just so delicious! Usually we mix the spinach into the sauce and let it wilt, but this time I served it on a bed of the spinach and I think I like it better! I hope you give it a try.
Moroccan-Spiced Meat Sauce with Goat Cheese
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped (about 1/2 cup/80 g)
- 1 garlic clove peeled and pressed
- 1 pound/455 g lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups/735 g plain tomato-based pasta sauce
- 12 ounces/340 g dried spaghetti or your favorite pasta
- 4 cups/120 g fresh organic baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup/38 g crumbled goat cheese
Place the oil in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook until browned and crumbly.
Add the cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne. Stir until evenly mixed.
Pour in the pasta sauce and simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
While the pasta sauce is simmering, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain the pasta.
Put all the spinach into the pasta sauce and keep stirring until the leaves are wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Top the pasta with the meat sauce and sprinkle with small chunks of goat cheese.
To take to lunch, pack your leftover pasta and sauce in a container and store in the fridge. store the goat cheese topping in a separate small container. The next morning, pack the containers in your lunch box with an ice pack and bring a fork. You can warm it up in the morning and pack it in a lunch thermos or if you have the option, you can warm it up in a microwave once you get to school. Sprinkle on the goat cheese, and enjoy.
Wow, the video we made is really old – I’m so young! I think we will have to post an updated video!
I also made it on Q13 FOX News 2 years ago.