There is nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of tomato soup to get you excited for the cold fall and winter months. In this video I decided to take this cozy classic and add my own fresh twist to it by adding a vibrant pesto. Creamy, smooth, hearty tomato soup topped with a fresh, nutty pesto… YES PLEASE! Tomato and basil is like the ultimate combination and it makes this soup so delicious! This soup is super simple to make and it’s a perfect dinner for a cold night because it will warm you straight to the bone. The great thing about this recipe is you get two in one! Whether or not you make the tomato soup on its own, the pesto on its own, or (my personal favorite) both together, you are going to love it! I am not a huge fan of the freezing cold weather, but its cozy wintery dishes like these that get me excited. I hope you give this recipe a try because I really do think it will become a staple for you this season.
Homemade Tomato Soup Topped with Basil Pesto
- 1 stick dairy free butter
- 2 large onions
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parm
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Melt butter in pot over medium high heat
- Chop your onions and add them to the butter. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in your flour and cook for 5 minutes so that the flour can lose its raw taste and smell.
- Add in your chicken broth, white wine, diced tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While your soup is simmering, add your garlic into a food processor and pulse until the garlic is finely minced, making sure to scrape down the sides of the food processor once or twice.
- Add in the basil, parmesan, and pine nuts and puree until everything is finely minced and combined.
- Then turn on your food processor and slowly drizzle in your olive oil while its running.
- Once your soup has simmered, using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor, puree your soup until it’s creamy and smooth.
- Pour some soup into your bowl and top with a spoonful of your pesto.