Fall is here, and when it’s cold outside, I love curling up with some blankets, a good book, and this hot apple spice- or what we Americans like to call apple cider. Don’t worry – there’s no alcohol in it! 😀
This apple spice is made from scratch using a slow-cooker, AND there’s no added sugar. When it’s done, your house will smell amazing, almost like apple pie. AND it’s super easy! Check out the video on Drinks Tube and I’ll show you how to make it!
- 4 sweet apples, such as Red Delicious (4 large, or 6 small)
- 1 orange, or 2 small mandarin oranges
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Roughly quarter the apples, and add them to a slow-cooker.
- Peel and break up the orange, and also add them to the slow cooker.
- Add the allspice, a cup of water, and cook on 2 hours high, then lower to low and cook for an additional 4 hours.
- Transfer apples and the juices to a pot or bowl, and using a potato masher, mash up the apple mixture.
- Working in batches, place the apple mixture into a cheesecloth, twist the top, and squeeze all of the juice out of the mixture into a saucepan.
- The liquid will be a bit syrupy and concentrated. Add water to taste (about a cup.)
- Heat the liquid in the saucepan over medium-low heat, pour some into a mug, and garnish with a cinnamon stick.