Tart, yet sweet apples, juicy chicken, crunchy celery and savory green onions are dressed in a tangy dressing to make the ultimate chicken salad! You make it the day before so it’s perfect for lunch on-the-go. It’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken, and kids will have a blast helping to make this in the kitchen!
Grandma’s Chicken Apple Salad
- 2 large green apples such as Granny Smith, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 large celery stalks chopped
- 4 cooked chicken breasts cooled and shredded
- 4 green onions sliced thinly
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup/60 ml cider vinegar
- 1 cup/235 ml extra-virgin olive oil
Combine the salad ingredients in a big bowl.
Prepare the dressing: Place the eggs, salt, garlic powder, dry mustard, pepper, and vinegar in a food processor. Pulse until everything is combined. While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil for a thick, creamy dressing. Warning: The dressing by itself doesn’t taste great; actually, it’s a little bitter. But once it’s had time to sit with the apples, celery, chicken, and green onions, it becomes amazing!
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly.
Refrigerate overnight. The next day, adjust the seasonings if necessary and serve.