I made these again for my class yesterday! It was a big hit! 😀
Fruit & Oat Bars
These are perfect to take to a school party! They are also a great treat to have with some tea. 😀 They are chewy, crunchy, and not-too-sweet.
- Grapeseed oil for the baking dish
- 1 1/4 cups of strawberry jam, (or your favorite flavor jam)
- 1/3 cup of dried blueberries (or your favorite dried fruit)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 packed cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted (we use Earth Balance, a dairy-free alternative)
- 1 egg, at room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a 9x13x2-inch baking dish, and place parchment paper inside so the ends are hanging out the sides. Oil the top of the parchment paper for good measure.
- In a small bowl, mix together the jam and the dried fruit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Stir in the oats and walnuts. Add the butter, egg and vanilla and stir until incorporated.
- Using your hands, lightly press half of the crust mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam mixture over the crust leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the pan. Cover the filling with the remaining crust mixture and gently press to flatten. Bake until light golden, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 1 hour.
- Cut the bars into small rectangles and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Cook With Amber http://www.cookwithamber.com/