One of my favorite things about cooking is cooking FOR people! Whenever I make a treat to bring to school for my friends, it’s usually my fruit and oat bars. I mean with a sweet buttery golden bar on the bottom, and a sweet and tart peach topping, what’s not to love?! My friends love these are you guys are going to too!
Another great thing about them is, although they are a sweet treat, they are a much healthier option than the other sugary treats people bring to school like donuts or candy or cupcakes. These oat bars are just as delicious and way you can make them in a snap!
Peach and Oat Bars
- Grapeseed oil for baking dish
- 13/4 cups/219 g all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup/170 g packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 13/4 cups/140 g old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup/2 sticks/225 g unsalted butter melted (or a dairy-free butter alternative)
- 1 large egg at room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 11/4 cups/400 g peach jam or your favorite flavor jam
- 1/2 cup/65 g dried peaches or your favorite dried fruit
Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C.
Oil a 13 x 9 x 2-inch/33 x 23 x 5 cm baking dish, and place parchment paper inside so the far ends overhang the sides (this will make it easier to remove the baked bars. Press the parchment paper down, so it sticks to the oiled dish.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda until thoroughly combined. Stir in the oats.
Add the butter, egg, and vanilla and stir until everything is well combined.
In a separate small bowl, mix together the jam and dried fruit.
Using your hands, lightly press 3/4 of the oat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer.
Spread the jam mixture evenly over the oat mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch/1.5 cm border around the edge of the pan.
Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the jam. Bake until light golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Cut the bars into small rectangles and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.