I was honored to be invited to the Today Show with Kathie Lee and Hoda for an “Inspirational Kids” episode! It was a blast. The other kids are all so amazing! Kathie Lee and Hoda were both awesome and I had a great time.
Watch how people cheered and kept eating and having fun after the show was over! It was like a party!
Thank you, Kathie Lee, Hoda, Kate, Sarah, and everyone from the Today Show!
Kathie Lee did a happy dance after eating the lasagna.
After the show, everyone kept eating and having fun. It was awesome!
We had a little teaser before the break.
Kate is the producer that helped us the whole time. She is super duper nice! I felt like I had already known her a long time.
We made friends with the other kids and got our hair done before the show!
When we got to the kitchen, things were already set up.
Look how beautifully they plated the lasagna!
Putting my chef’s coat on!
This is Bianca, the food stylist. She is very nice and obviously an amazing cook!
Look at the beautiful lasagna!
I hadn’t used this type of mandolin before so I practiced before the segment.
I watched Samuel’s
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil (or another oil with a high smoke point)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 1.5 lbs. Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 small zucchinis
- 2 ounces grated parmesan
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice zucchinis with a mandolin so that they are paper thin. Set them out on paper towels to dry out while you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the sausage and cook over medium heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, 1/2 – 1 teaspoons salt (depending on taste and the saltiness of your sausage), and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
- To assemble the lasagna, ladle about 3/4 cup of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then layer the zucchini, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with a small handful of mozzarella, a bit of parmesan, and then another ladle full of sauce. Repeat until you are out of ingredients. Finish with sauce, topped with parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling. Broil for a minute or two to get a nice crust. Let it cool slightly so that it can set before serving.