Savory chicken sausage, a bit of smokey bacon, and rich chicken broth clings to every nook and cranny of kale in this amazing soup that is a family favorite! We are serving this soup at our annual Xmas Eve party, where every year, we have a huge soup bar for our huge family of about 40 people.
You can’t go wrong with this soup, which happens to be easy to make too!
Happy holidays to you!
- 1 lb. chicken sausage, mild Italian
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups (or so) fresh kale, tough stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- In a non-stick or lightly oiled pan, cook the sausage in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until crumbly and cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the same pot until crisp, then drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft.
- Add chicken broth and sausage and bring to a simmer. Add kale just before serving and mix until it wilts.