Sometimes it’s good to cheat! Pho is the type of food that makes you feel all warm and toasty and comfortable inside. Check out episode 8: Cheater’s Pho!
Cheater's Pho - Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
Broth (we double the broth, since we like a lot of broth)
- 2 quarts of organic chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 onion, sliced into 1/4" half-rings
The "stuff" in the broth (amounts vary on your taste)
- Carrots, sliced into disks
- Cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- Broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- Store-bought organic rotisserie chicken, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- Rice stick noodles, or shirataki noodles (we've seen yam and tofu versions) for a low-carb option (prepare according to package instructions)
Optional toppings and condiments
- Fresh basil leaves
- Lime wedges
- Mung bean sprouts
- Sriracha sauce (try adding a little bit - it's so good!)
- Pour chicken broth into a pot, and add fish sauce, bay leaves ground ginger, coriander, and onion slices. Put the star-anise and cloves into a tea strainer or cheese cloth tied with twine and place it in the broth. Let it come to a boil, then simmer for at least 15 minutes. The longer it simmers, the more flavorful it will be. I like to simmer for about an hour.
- Put a bit of broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and chicken in the broth and let them cook until tender.
- Put some softened rice or yam noodles into a bowl, and ladle the broth into the bowl. Pick out some veggies and chicken to place on top. You can add fresh basil, mung bean sprouts, and a squeeze of lime if you wish. A little bit of Sriracha sauce is a must for me!
Cook With Amber http://www.cookwithamber.com/